National 48 Hour Film Challenge
CAN YOU MAKE A FILM IN 2 DAYS?
Welcome to the
48HOUR FILM CHALLENGE
THE WINNERS OF THE 2010 CHALLENGE ARE:
1st Place: SHOOT THE RUNNER (abducted)
2nd Place: MORE REEL THAN REAL (the 10th planet)
3rd Place: WOOKIE COOKIE (the wonderful present)
You can see these and all the shortlisted films below:
see photos from the start of the challenge on our Flickr site
Taking part via SMS?
Remember, you need to open your account with Dailymotion.com. It is easy and free. You then upload your video and send us a link – to info [at] sci-fi-london.com
and before 1pm, post the DVD to the Apollo Piccadilly.
c/o Apollo Piccadilly Circus
19 Regent Street
London SW1Y 4LR
And well done!
Use your creative circuits, wit and talent to make a short film and you could win some neat prizes, let alone kudos from our jury - which includes Mick Garris and Vincenzo Natali - the festival and of course our audience.
Why? Well, winning films will be premiered at the festival! Our film challenge is FREE TO ENTER - well, it seems wrong to ask you for money, you will be working hard enough as it is!
It's really easy. We'll give you a randomly generated film title, some dialogue and maybe a prop list. You'll then have 48 hours to write, shoot and edit a complete five minute film... hard work but fun!
We have some great prizes lined up and news of these will be here soon.
IT IS FREE TO TAKE PART - you just need to have your own kit.
The Basic Rules:
At 9.30am sharp on Saturday 10th April 2010, one person from your team must attend the launch at one of our venues where you will be given your brief. This includes the TITLE of the film you will make, some DIALOGUE one of your characters must say to camera and a PROP LIST of things that a character must show or use to camera.
NEW FOR 2010
You can also take part via SMS and UPLOAD - give us a mobile number and on the Saturday morning we will send you a text with your TITLE etc. You have 48hours to upload to our Dailymotion Group (details below). The downside to SMS entry is we will only be showing the films in the cinema of those who turn up to a venue for the briefing - unless you win :)
Participating teams then have just 48 hours to write, shoot and edit a short science fiction film to be no longer than five minutes including credits. You can be a team of one if you want but we recommend five or six people (Director, Lights, Sound, Editor, Camera and someone to fetch coffee, keep everyone fed and general be indispensable!).
You have until 13.00hours (1pm) on Monday 12th April 2010 to create your short film and get it back to the venue (or upload it). Just getting it there on time can be the biggest challenge. We suggest someone with reliable two wheel transport make that all important delivery! (Someone will be able to receive your entry from 9.30am)
Teams are accepted on a first come first served basis and remember, we do not give you any kit to shoot or edit your film.
Remember, think ahead - start scouting locations and getting actors together now!
What do I need to do next?
- Read the Complete 48 Hour Competition Rules
- Fill in our registration - NOW CLOSED
- Arrive by 9.30am at your nearest venue.
Did we mention our jury?
- Vincenzo Natali (Cube, Cypher, Splice)
- Helen Mullane (Home Ents. Optimum Releasing)
- Charlie Burton (Assoc Editor, WIRED UK)
- Mick Garris (Masters of Horror, The Stand)
- Chris Jones (Guerilla Filmmaker's Handbook)
- Rosie Fletcher (News Editor, Total Film)
- All material must be created during the 48 hour challenge period
- All material must be free of any copyright claims (it's yours, you didn’t ‘borrow' it) - and you indemnify us against any claims
- No materials will be returned so don't give us the only copy!
- By entering you agree to give us non-exclusive, worldwide rights to the film, forever and we can do what we like with it - forever!
- All films returned by 1pm on Monday 12th April, no shorter than 3 minutes and no longer than 5 minutes, copyright cleared and containing all the random elements issued on the previous Saturday are eligible for judging.
- All films will show the supplied graphic at the beginning of the film. - This will be given at the venues or you can download it on the day.
- The judges decision is final - really, no arguments!
- Use of a time machine or other similar instrument to stop the normal passage of time, giving you say 3 weeks to make a film in what seems like just a weekend to the rest of us - well, that is cheating and we won't stand for it - unless of course you use some kind of mind control and erase any knowledge of this rule or your cheating or the fact that the time machine was invented.
- We do not have a problem with you thinking ahead and clearing permission for locations, actors, whatever.
All creativity must occur within the competition period: writing, rehearsing, shooting, editing, graphics, sound design, etc. Get your film to the venue by 1pm on Monday and you're in the competition!
Want a flavour of what happened last time?
HEAR HOW WINNER GARETH EDWARDS GOT HIS FEATURE MADE AFTER WINNING THE 2008 CHALLENGE
- 48 Hour Film Challenge Forum
- Competition Rules
- StarNow - Find an Actor for your film.
Want an example of what can be done in just 48hours?
Check out Factory Farmed by Team: Rebel Alliance - winner of 48 Hour Challenge 2008
Remember science fiction film does not need to be set in space, have lots of special effects or CG.